Historic Office Properties
The Remedy Building
Northern Regional Office
402 West Washington Street
South Bend, IN 46601
For over 30 years, the South Bend Remedy Company manufactured cures for various ailments from a Queen Anne-style home with a distinctive tower. In addition to serving as the patent medicine firm’s laboratory and office, the 1895 house provided an apartment for owner Albert Kelly. The company sold such popular products as Royal Tea and Magnolia Blossom (promoted as a cure for “female complaints”) until it folded in 1928 following the death of Kelly’s son, Richard L. Kelly.
The landmark was threatened with the wrecking ball and moved twice before finding a permanent home on a prominent corner of in South Bend’s West Washington Street Historic District. Indiana Landmarks completed restoration of the building in 2003, and it now serves as our Northern Regional Office.
Terre Haute Mutual Savings Association
Western Regional Office
669 Ohio Street
Terre Haute, IN 47807
After renting space in Terre Haute since 1992, Indiana Landmarks bought an Art Deco building in downtown Terre Haute for our Western Regional Office in 2011. The historic Terre Haute Mutual Savings Association Building at 669 Ohio Street is just a block south of 7th and Wabash – “The Crossroads of America.”
Constructed in 1941, the Terre Haute Mutual building holds National Register status as part of the Wabash Avenue East Historic District. Designed by the prominent Terre Haute architectural firm of Miller & Yeager, the one-story commercial building features Art Deco details with a hint of Streamline Moderne. Miller & Yeager also employed the Art Deco aesthetic in several of its higher profile buildings in Terre Haute, including the Terre Haute Post Office & Federal Building (reused as Indiana State University’s Scott College of Business) and the Terre Haute City Hall.
Southern Regional Office
115 West Chestnut Street
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Serving as Indiana Landmarks' Southern Regional Office since 2004, the Willey-Allhands House offers proof that saving historic buildings often requires a collaborative effort. Frank Willey, a utility company manager, originally built his Queen Anne-style home on Jeffersonville’s fashionable Sparks Avenue around 1902. A century later, the historic neighborhood was mostly gone, and nearby Clark Memorial Hospital’s expansion plans threatened the home. The hospital generously donated the property to Indiana Landmarks, and contributed funds earmarked for demolition to move the home one mile to a vacant lot at 115 West Chestnut Street, next door to the Grisamore House, which previously housed our southern office. The move helped repair the historic streetscape, filling a hole in an area where fire had ravaged several of the city’s historic buildings.
Indiana Landmarks gave the home an exterior and interior makeover, retaining many of the house’s Queen Anne features, including cast-iron mantels, and rebuilding Colonial Revival features added in the 1930s when the Clifford Allhands family owned the home. Today, the rehabilitated home includes a library where visitors can research preservation-related questions.