Circa 1836 Greek Revival house on over 13 acres in northern Indiana Amish Country, located two hours east of Chicago. Wilbur Peat identified the property as the Fowler-Oberholtzer House in his Indiana Houses of the Nineteenth Century, an Indiana Historical Society publication. The post and beam structure was sold for a dollar, disassembled, and rebuilt on a rural property between the towns of Bristol and Middlebury by Tim Riemann, a craftsman and author of numerous Shaker Furniture books.
The current owners purchased the house in 1982 and lovingly cared for it over the past 40 years. Architect Jeff Helman designed a 900-square foot addition, built with every attention given to replication of Greek Revival-style moldings and historic trim. The house includes 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, custom Dutch Mills Maple cabinets in the kitchen, and hardwood floors of poplar, yellow pine, and reclaimed heart pine.
One of the owners is a landscape designer specializing in ecological design. Bluestone and brick terraces, fieldstone walls, and extensive tree plantings have been installed over the past 40 years. The majority of plantings are native plants of the upper Midwest. Ponds were added and there is an abundance of wildlife on this secluded property. The owners are looking for stewards of this historic home and grounds. See the full listing details.