Saved from demolition and recently rehabilitated, the oldest home in Wabash is ready for a new buyer.
Philip Alber, with help from his brother, built this home in just 10 days in 1849. An immigrant from Lichtenstein where he made his living as a mason, Alber used local brick and stone. He and his wife Barbara lived on the upper floor. The lower level, with access from the rear, served as a German-style café that opened to a backyard beer garden. Alber was locally known for his brewing skills and along with a business partner founded the Reddig & Alber Brewing Co. Learn more about the home’s history.
The house retains a wide central hall typical of the Federal style, original wood staircases, wide-plank wood floors on the main level, and a limestone floor on the lower level, where hand-hewn wood beams remain from the Bavarian café days. The 1,600-square-foot house has three levels, with a living room, kitchen/dining room, two bedrooms, and one full and one half bathroom.
Indiana Landmarks acquired the house to prevent its demolition and restored the exterior with support from the City of Wabash, the Efroymson Family Fund and the Alber family. The house is for sale to a buyer who’ll complete the work we’ve started. It will be sold with preservation covenants requiring exterior work to be approved by Indiana Landmarks. The interior is all yours to reimagine!