Church Ready for Next Chapter
Own an eye-catching Gothic Revival-style church and two-story parish house just blocks from the heart of downtown Connersville.
The church offers 2,692 square feet, including a large sanctuary hall, small kitchenette with sink adjacent to the altar, and a fully functioning pipe organ on the second floor balcony. There are no restrooms in the church, but there are two restrooms on the first floor and a large restroom on the second floor of the adjacent parish house. The parish house is 2,336 square feet, and also includes a fully functional kitchen, a large meeting room on the first floor, and a smaller meeting room and office on the second floor. Currently, the lot is zoned for church use and residential, and surrounded by businesses.
Faced with declining membership and struggling to maintain the large historic property, the church diocese decided to close the church last year and donate it and the adjacent parish house to Indiana Landmarks. The congregation gathered one last time in January for a deconsecration ceremony.
Indiana Landmarks repaired the church roof using grant funds awarded from the Efroymson Family Fund of the Central Indiana Community Foundation. Remaining grant funds will be used to repaint the Gothic Revival parish house.
The landmarks hold ties to Connersville’s early religious history and civic leaders. In 1850, Reverend William Miller conducted Connersville’s first Episcopalian service in the town hall, and it wasn’t long before the Episcopal Parish organized and built its first chapel. By 1856, the rapidly growing parish commissioned construction of a large new Gothic Revival church and adjacent parish house, both completed three years later.
A number of Connersville’s early town leaders attended Trinity Episcopal, including Mary S. Helm — wife of Connersville co-founder Meredith Helm – and Manfred E. Dale, an influential businessman probably best known for donating property for the Dale Cemetery just west of town.
Both properties will be sold with protective easements requiring exterior changes to be approved by Indiana Landmarks. To learn more, contact Jessie Russett, director of Indiana Landmarks’ Eastern Regional Office, 765-478-3172, email@example.com.