Sign In

Archive Search

County 
Year 
 

 

 

 

 

 

Sign up for our free e-newsletter!

News > Archive: Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Indiana Landmarks announces southern Indiana preservation awards

7/13/2012

Media contact: 

Greg Sekula, Director, Indiana Landmarks Southern Regional Office, Jeffersonville, 812-284-4534

 

Photos available from Mike Wiltrout, mwiltrout@indianalandmarks.org, 317-639-4534

 

Indiana Landmarks singled out four owners to receive its annual Rosemary Prentice Awards recognizing high-quality restoration in southern Indiana.

 

Charlestown State Park wins an award for moving and restoring the former Portersville Bridge. The little-used and deteriorated bridge, a 1912 camelback design built by the Vincennes Bridge Company, closed in 1999. Charlestown State Park began working on the project to reuse the bridge in 2004. Relocated, cleaned and repainted, the span was rededicated as the Rose Island Bridge in September 2011. Park property manager Lucas Green and assistant property manager Andrea Logsdon will accept the award on behalf of the late Larry Gray, under whose leadership the project began.

 

Terry and Susan Borquein will receive an award for restoring the Cobb-Olcott House in Aurora. Built for early Indiana settler John Cobb in 1860, the locally-designated landmark fell into foreclosure in the 2000s.  The Bourqueins, owners of a construction company, bought and restored it as The Parlour in Aurora, an elegant salon and day spa.

 

The Catholic Parishes of Jennings County will receive recognition for restoring three historic churches. Father Jonathan Meyer, the spiritual leader of all three, worked with parish leaders to preserve the mid-to-late nineteenth-century churches. At St. Anne in Sand Creek Township, constructed in 1866, the sanctuary, plaster and bell tower were rehabbed, and altars removed in the 1960s were replaced. St. Joseph Parish in Spencer Township, built in 1892, received masonry work, replacement of altars, and a reconstruction of the original bell box. St. Mary’s in North Vernon, built in 1861, got a new roof, refinished pews and floors, and refurbished altars and statues. Father Meyer will accept the award.

 

Hoosier Uplands Economic Development Corporation wins an award for rehabbing the former Paoli High School. Constructed in 1927 in the Collegiate Gothic style, it closed after the last class graduated in 1967. It served as a furniture factory and a storage facility before Hoosier Uplands, a non-profit housing organization based in Mitchell, turned the building into 22 apartments, with the gym available for community events. Hoosier Uplands CEO David Miller will accept the award. 

 

The Prentice Awards are named in honor of the late advocate who helped create a strong preservation organization in Jeffersonville and led Indiana Landmarks to open a regional office in southern Indiana.

 

The awards will be presented during Indiana Landmarks Movable Feast in Paoli on July 13, an event staged with support from Saving Historic Orange County, Inc., Hoosier Uplands Economic Development Corp., and Pivotal People of Southern Indiana, Inc.


Indiana Landmarks Join or Renew Donate