A Recipe for Reuse
The words “National Biscuit Company” are still faintly visible on the building at 401 NW 2nd Street in downtown Evansville. Built in 1894 for the Marsh-Scantlin Bakery, the building served for several years as a regional bakery for the National Biscuit Company – later renamed Nabisco. Today, many residents remember the landmark as the home of Geiger Moving and Storage, which occupied the building for nearly a century. Architect H.C. Linsey designed the brick factory to contour the angled intersection of Second and Engle streets, a formerly industrial area the city is currently targeting for redevelopment.
Architectural Renovators plans to convert the National Register-listed building into 20 modern industrial-style apartments featuring original hardwood floors and exposed brick walls, along with three ground-level retail spaces. Workers have already installed a new roof and begun repointing the historic masonry. Plans include opening up bricked-over windows and restoring the original entry. The project is expected to be completed by mid 2020.
Architectural Renovators previously rehabbed Evansville’s historic Greyhound station (now Bru Burger Bar) and the Owen Block, two high-profile projects. Check out both – along with other adaptive use and revitalization projects — when the city hosts Preserving Historic Places: Indiana’s Statewide Preservation Conference, April 9-12, 2019.
Stay up to date on the latest news, stories, and events from Indiana Landmarks, around the state or in your area.