John Arnold Rural Preservation Award

Farm Heritage

Indiana Landmarks and Indiana Farm Bureau present the John Arnold Award for Rural Preservation to recognize the preservation and continued use of historic farming-related buildings.

Arnold Award winners 2016
Indiana Landmarks and Indiana Farm Bureau presented the 2016 John Arnold Award for Rural Preservation to Tom and Kerry Dull for preservation of the historic buildings on their Thorntown farm (Photo: Kelsey Jones)

Arnold Award Criteria

Would we be Indiana without the historic barns that dot the landscape? Changes in agricultural practices and commercial land development pose increasing threats to farming related landmarks. The John Arnold Award for Rural Preservation recognizes those who preserve and continue to use historic farming-related buildings.

Anyone may submit a nomination, including the owners of the farm. Judges consider the following criteria when selecting the winner:

  • Farm buildings must be utilized in an active farming operation;
  • All buildings, including the house, should possess a high level of historic integrity and retain character-defining features such as original construction and cladding materials, windows, and doors;
  • Buildings do not have to serve their original use. Sympathetic alterations necessary to accommodate new uses or modern farming equipment are acceptable;
  • The farm should be managed by the property’s owner;
  • Preference is given to farms that are full-time.

The award winner receives a handsome outdoor marker and feature coverage on the farm in Indiana Landmarks’ member magazine, Indiana Preservation.

Nomination deadline

Arnold Award nominations are due Friday, June 30, 2017. Indiana Landmarks presents the award at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis. Download the nomination form here.

Arnold Award Background

The award is named in memory of John Arnold (1955-1991), a Rush County farmer who combined progressive architectural practices with a deep respect for the natural and historic components of rural landscapes, including the farm owned by his family since 1820.