Browse Available Jobs
Tour & Retail Assistant
French Lick & West Baden Springs
Indiana Landmarks seeks a person to conduct tours of the historic French Lick and West Baden Springs Hotels in Orange County (about 75 mins south of Bloomington) and work in our Landmarks Emporium shops. The position — 29 hours/week — is available immediately.
- Firm command of English language and grammar and strong presentation skills
- Ability to memorize basic tour script and mine background information to deliver accurate and entertaining tours of French Lick and West Baden as premier examples of preservation in action
- Ability to engage myriad visitors—business guests, families with children, seniors, international and leisure travelers—with hospitality and tact
- Basic level computer skills, with point-of-sale experience a plus
- Capacity to stand and walk for long periods as you guide tour groups through large historic properties.
- High school diploma required; college courses or degree a plus.
- Experience in hospitality and/or retail a plus.
Indiana Landmarks, a private, nonprofit organization with nine offices around the state, is the exclusive provider of guided tours of the historic West Baden Springs and French Lick Springs Hotels in southern Indiana. The organization also operates a retail shop, Landmarks Emporium, in each hotel, from which the tours depart. The Tour & Retail Assistant will receive training before leading one-hour tours of each hotel at regularly scheduled times as well as group tours by appointment. The tours offer both historical and architectural background as well as information on the restoration (and, in the case of West Baden Springs, its rescue from a ruinous state) to reveal both as premier examples of historic preservation in action. The position also requires work in the shops — at the check-out counter, helping to maintain the appearance of the space, and restocking merchandise as assigned.
The tour assistant typically works 29 hours per week, between 9:30 a.m. and 6 p.m., up to five days a week. The schedule will include Saturdays, Sundays and some holidays. Scheduling flexibility is desired to accommodate the occasional evening or early morning tour. Reliability is paramount.
Hourly pay rate is $10-$12 per hour, commensurate with experience and education.
Email letter of interest and resume to:
French Lick/West Baden Program Manager
Indiana Landmarks offers regular unpaid internships to students in historic preservation, architectural or public history, journalism, public relations, and event and retail management in many of our offices.
See a complete list of unpaid internship opportunities or send internship inquiries to:
1201 Central Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46202