Property For Sale

SOLD

Marcus Dickey House

3980 Bear Wallow Hill | Nashville

Dickey House Brown County
SOLD
Built: 1905 —
3,750 SQ. FEET
CONTACT:
Mark Dollase
317-639-4534

Charming Retreat

Built in 1905, the Marcus Dickey House sits on a five-acre wooded parcel in Brown County at the crown of Bear Wallow Hill, adjacent to Indiana University-owned Lilly-Dickey Woods. It’s an inviting historic home on an incomparable site.

The Free Classic-style home of 3,750 square feet has four bedrooms and two full bathrooms. Scarcely altered since its construction, the house retains its original wood siding, windows, floors, doors, and trim. The main roof has been replaced within the past five to six years, while the plumbing, HVAC, and electrical systems need upgrading. A wraparound porch commands outstanding views of the secluded home’s natural setting.

Marcus Dickey and his wife, Isabelle, commissioned the house. Dickey served as Hoosier Poet James Whitcomb Riley’s manager and biographer, and penned some of his published works in the Brown County abode, which originally sat on more than 150 acres of peaceful woodland. The Dickeys became good friends of artist T.C. Steele and his wife Selma during their decades in Brown County. In 1942, the Dickeys donated their Brown County property to Indiana University in conjunction with J.K. and Lila Lilly, who gifted 374 acres of adjacent land. The gifts resulted in the creation of Lilly-Dickey Woods.

Beginning in 1949, Ken and Barbara Tuxhorn leased the house from I.U. They raised their family in the home and operated a popular weekend Boy Scout camp there for more than five decades. Tuxhorn blazed trails through the woods, including the “Flags of the Nations Trail,” which once displayed the national banners of 112 countries.

The Tuxhorns’ long residency ended in 2013 and Indiana University recently elected to divest the house with five acres to ensure its preservation. Indiana Landmarks acquired the property in July 2018 and will sell it with a preservation covenant that guarantee the preservation of its architectural and natural character.

For price or additional information, contact Mark Dollase at (317) 639-4534 or mdollase@indianalandmarks.org.

Learn more and see historic photos of the house here.