Historic Bedford Homes Open for Tours June 11

Indiana Landmarks’ Double Landmark Look offers an opportunity to see two private homes – one in an old jail.


The first home on the tour was once the Lawrence County Jail. The structure at 1002 17th Street dates from the era when the sheriff often lived in a well-appointed residence attached to the cell block. “The 10,000 square-foot building looks as much like a limestone castle as a jail, although the cell block remains,” says Greg Sekula, director of Indiana Landmarks’ Southern Regional Office.

Owners Rowena and Seid “Reza” Cross-Najafi have adapted the home portion, built in 1904 around the c.1857 jail, adding bathrooms, restoring floors, and modernizing systems. The triple-tiered cell block remains, a curiosity not many homeowners can claim.

Owners Becky and Jim Buher also open the 1840 Dunihue House they restored at 1401 L Street, one of the first homes built in Bedford. Changes occurred around 1854 and in the 1920s, when the house was divided into four apartments. It remained that way for 90 years until the Buhers returned it to single-family status. They painstakingly returned apartment door openings to match the original eight-foot windows with transoms. They respected the home’s historic features, while making it functional for modern living, with a new kitchen, bathrooms and a sunroom with a floor made of salvaged roofing slate.

As an added bonus, the Lawrence County Museum, 929 15th Street, and the Wiley Center for Art, 1402 J Street, will also be open for participants at no charge.

The Double Landmark Look is free for members of Indiana Landmarks, but registration is required. The general public may view the houses for $15 per person. Register or purchase tickets by June 9 online at or call 317-639-4534.

With its Landmark Look series, Indiana Landmarks offers peeks into historically significant and intriguing properties throughout Indiana.

WHAT:  Bedford Double Landmark Look: Tour two private homes

WHEN:  June 11, 3-5 p.m.

WHERE:  Buhers’ home, at 1401 L Street, and the Cross-Najafis’ house and jail, 1002 17th Street in Bedford

COST:   Free for members of Indiana Landmarks with registration; $15 for nonmembers

REGISTER:  Register by June 9 at


Media contacts: Greg Sekula, Director, Indiana Landmarks’ Southern Regional Office,, 812-284-4534, Tina Connor, Indiana Landmarks Executive Vice President, 317-822-7903,


Indiana Landmarks revitalizes communities, reconnects us to our heritage, and saves meaningful places. With nine offices located throughout the state, Indiana Landmarks helps people rescue endangered landmarks and restore historic neighborhoods and downtowns. People who join Indiana Landmarks receive its bimonthly magazine, Indiana PreservationLearn more.

Sign up for our e-newsletter.

Stay up to date on the latest news, stories, and events from Indiana Landmarks, around the state or in your area.