Richard and Linda Butler grew up in Richmond, married, and started a family there before a new job took them to Ohio 15 years ago. After retiring, they stayed in Ohio to start an antiques and vintage car business. After watching the McGuire house’s rehab on trips back to Richmond to visit family, the Butlers decided it was time to return home.
The couple made an offer on the house that RNR accepted three hours later. “It felt like fate,” says Linda. “Friends and family stop in daily, so the house is already full of family and love,” she adds. The couple expects to open their antiques business in Richmond’s Depot District this summer.
RNR tackled restoration of the McGuire house to encourage revitalization of the old “Millionaire’s Row” area on Main Street (U.S. 40), a project that earned the group an “Outstanding Historic Preservation Organization Award” from Indiana Landmarks’ Eastern Regional Office.
Richmond businessman Elwood McGuire built the large Free Classic house as his family home in 1901. Best known for pioneering production of affordable lightweight lawn mowers, McGuire expressed his success and wealth in the home with an eye-grabbing turret and impressive front porch with Ionic columns. Designed by local architect Stephen O. Yates, the house features patterned inlaid floors and handsome fireplaces.
RNR aimed for total restoration, but budget constraints forced the group to scratch some improvements, including replacing a long-missing balustrade on the front porch. The Butlers have taken up the torch, with plans replace the balustrade, build a second carriage house, and install landscaping.
Read more about the Butlers and their plans for the McGuire house in Richmond’s Paladium-Item.
To learn more about RNR, visit www.richmondneighborhoodrestoration.org.
Stay up to date on the latest news, stories, and events from Indiana Landmarks, around the state or in your area.