Where We're Located
Over the past three decades, Indiana Landmarks has engaged in serial restoration of buildings in South Bend to house our Northern Regional Office. We’ve embarked on the next one in the series, a prominent South Bend landmark at the corner of West Washington and Chapin streets.
Constructed c.1888, the Kizer House offers more space than we need for our office alone, so we expect to create offices for other nonprofits or businesses in the spacious Romanesque style home often likened to a castle.
William L. Kizer was an investor in real estate, insurance, railroads, timber, and patent medicine. He also was active in the Lincoln Highway Association. He and his partner Jacob Woolverton’s investments helped South Bend grow into an industrial powerhouse during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
We’ve moved our office into the carriage house while we continue renovation at the main house and hunt for partners or tenants.
The Northern Regional Office serves 15 counties, working with individuals and groups to save historic places and offering restoration advice.
The endorsement marks a reversal of a 2018 decision to demolish the courthouse – an action that landed the building on Indiana Landmarks’ 10 Most Endangered List.KEEP READING
Sponsored by Indiana Landmarks, Indiana Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology, and Indiana University.