News from the region
Landmark Look spotlights LaPorte's Scott-Rumely House
On September 4, join us for an exclusive view of LaPorte’s Scott-Rumely House at our first “Landmark Look,” a new program offering opportunities to see historic sites not normally open to the public.
Emmet Scott built the grand Classical Revival house in 1901. A prosperous local businessman, Scott served as mayor of LaPorte from 1889 to 1894. Scott’s daughter Fanny married Dr. Edward Rumely -- physician, industrialist, progressive educator, and owner of the New York Evening Mail – in the gardens of the house in 1910. The couple resided in New York, but returned regularly to LaPorte to entertain national business and cultural leaders in the elegant Scott home. In 1959, they retired to LaPorte and took up permanent residence at the house, where Fanny remained until her death in 1979.
Indiana Landmarks rescued the house earlier this year and invested in roof and plumbing repairs, a new heating system and other fixes before listing it for sale with protective covenants. The home features 15 rooms, fire places imported from Paris, natural oak woodwork, and decorative leaded glass windows. The site encompasses an entire city block and includes a two-story carriage house with room for two cars and a second floor ripe for a new purpose. We’re asking $197,500 for the property.
The September 4 Landmark Look, presented with support from People Engaged in Preservation – LaPorte’s local preservation group -- takes place from 5 to 7 p.m. The event is free, but we require an RSVP online at lookrumely.eventbrite.com or call 317-822-7923.